Try Google's Search Engine

Google

Monday, September 17, 2007

Testimonies: What my dog means to me


Before my mother passed away from lung cancer in January of 2000, her very last words to me were "please, take care of my baby". Her baby is a miniature dachshund/chihuahua mix named Sam. She is black and tan and has a cute, short nose and very tiny. She is long like a dachshund, has short back legs and even shorter front legs. She looks like a puppy even now. She had named her after me, my name is Samantha, she said that Sam was spoiled just like me when I was a child. Always had to be on her heels and by her side at all times.

After mom passed away, I took her in and have been spoiling her ever since. I have nicknamed her Sambam. She was born on New Year's Eve, 17 years ago. I dread the day she passes on to "Doggy Heaven" because it will be like losing my mother all over again.

When mom was on her deathbed, she whispered to her husband to go to their house and get two things. One was a little ceramic angel and the other was the little statue that looked just like Sambam. I think she had told my step-dad to bring Sam to her, but he brought the little statue look-alike instead. He laid it by her side and she put her hand on it and put the little guardian angel to her heart. She smiled and took her last breath with that smile still on her face. I will never forget that day when she waited to see her baby one last time before she left this world.

This little dachshund/chihuahua mix has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. I think mom knew that I needed her, as much as she needed me. I was really the only one who ever really understood the two of them. Everyone used to get mad at mom because she spoiled Sam so much, but she never gave in. Sambam always came first. Sambam knows when I am upset and will come to me and just look at me as if she is looking into my soul. She will not stop until I start petting her and getting my kisses and hugs from her. She takes care of me as much as I take care of her. She was always close to my mom, even had a babysitter when mom would leave the house to go bowling or go to work. She was indeed spoiled rotten and loved every minute of it.

I do not know what I will do when Sambam passes away. My family tells my boyfriend that he better be ready, because the day Sambam dies I will fall apart. I agree because I have taken the place of my mother and Sambam is now on my heels all day, lays beside me on the couch under her blanket, sleeps in bed with me at night, goes bye-bye with me wherever I go and is my inspiration to get through each day. She is such a sweet little soul and I am blessed to have been able to be the one to take care of her for the rest of her life.

At 17 years old, she is starting to lose her hearing and sight and I fear the day she will leave me is getting closer and closer. I have done all I can to make her happy and take my mother's place in her life. Mom used to say if Sambam passed away before her, she wanted to get her stuffed, so she could always be with her. She also wanted to have her put in her coffin and buried with her, so they would never be separated. This is impossible now, but I will make sure when she does pass away that I bury a picture of her on top of mom's grave.

Sambam is protective of those she loves and sometimes thinks she's a big rottweiler or other huge dog. She will run the biggest of dogs out of the yard, intimidate any person who comes near me, and she has always been a sweet companion. Sambam means the world to me, especially since she was a part of my mom and so dear to her. I fear the day when she does die, because I will always be looking for her at my heels and on my lap or beside me on the couch. I will miss her dearly and it will be like losing my mother all over again.

It is amazing how one little sweet soul can bring so much love and peace into someone's life. I must admit that I have enjoyed her more than any other person or animal as my companion. Sambam has had a very long and happy life. She will always be special to me, even when she is gone. I will miss her so much when she leaves me, because she is like a little sister to me. But I will be happy knowing that Sambam and mom will be together again in heaven one day soon.

3 comments:

Magdalen Islands said...

Sambam is very sweet, Sammers, but you never mention your other little dog. Perhaps if you write about her some of the love you feel for Sambam will transfer to her in an way unnoticeable to you and make the future seem a little less bleak.
The reason I say this is because of how I got Aurique and how he gave me four more years of my precious Gemmstone. Because of his diligence with her (I credit him for saving her), I love him so much. And now I have Splash because he too is getting old and I fear I'll lose him. And I'm now in tears.

Samantha said...

Awwww, isn't it something how we fall so completely and udderly in love with these special creatures? I see animals as little people, they are so smart and sense the moods of their owners and act on it. I do plan on writing a story about Sambam and Rosie and how much Rosie has helped Sambam. Sambam used to cry and bark and howl when I was not at home, she'd do it nonstop for hours until she went hoarse. Now that I have Rosie, she doesn't do it hardly at all. If I'm gone for a while, she will do it then, but then I think they are both stressing about where I am and when I'll be home. I have had several other dogs that Sambam did not bond with, but Rosie is a Godsend for Sambam and for me. I am trying to wait until I get a picture of Rosie to put up on my blogsite to tell her story and how she came to live with us, etc. Rosie is a very good dog and Sambam has learned a lot from her. I will write another story just for you Gimme, about the both of them and how they have both helped me and each other. Thanks for reading and for your reply and suggestions. {{{BIG HUGS}}}

Head Cookie said...

Hey Sambam is a cutie and I am glad you are carrying on your moms wish and taken care of her. I am sure Sambam is happy to be with someone he knows and loves as well. I hope Sambam is continuing to get better everyday.