Try Google's Search Engine

Google

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Back from the Psychiatric Hospital

It has been a long month of hell! I've finally gotten the courage and help, to step off of the ride.

I learned a lot, in the past 5 days, while in Laureate Psychiatric Hospital. The most important thing was to never give up, there is always hope and always help. You just have to ask for it and most importantly, you have to want it.

This was my first experience with a psychiatric hospital and being on suicide watch. It wasn't so bad, it's nothing compared to what you see on tv. They don't sedate you, unless you deserve it, by being mean or a danger to yourself and/or others. They check on you every 15 minutes, no matter where you are in the unit.

There were lots of groups to attend, very educational and uplifting. I learned a lot of coping skills and got a lot of booklets and information to read that I brought home with me. I now know that I have a place to go where I feel safe and secure, if I ever get out of control again with myself and my mind.

For those of you who might be too scared, it's not all bad like it sounds. There are great therapists, counselors, psychiatrists, numerous doctors, and staff who WANT to help you. They brainstormed for hours trying to figure out what was going on with me. They finally realized that I was having Discontinuation Symptoms from being given 2 similar medications. I was given Effexor XR to replace my Paxil and it worked great. Then the pharmacy gave me the generic version Venlafaxine, which isn't extended release. So I was being given a weak dose of medication that would go straight through me, making me nauseated/vomiting, weak, headaches, tremors, eye bulging, brain shocks, etc. The generic should have been taken several times a day, rather than just once a day. I was only taking a pill once a day. It would get me WAY up (sickly up) and then take me WAY down. I was experiencing a roller coaster ride of highs and lows that my body and mind couldn't withstand.

My doctor figured out that was the problem, got me on the correct Extended Release meds the next day and almost immediately there was notable changes. The Extended Release gives you smaller doses of medication throughout a 24 hour period, whereas the other just overwhelmed my system and mind. The following day I was back to myself, no side effects or discontinuation symptoms whatsoever. Unbelievable! I was taken off of suicide precautions on the third day. They asked me to stay two more days to make sure my medications agreed with me and I had no further problems mentally/suicidally.

I am so thankful for the doctors and staff at Laureate, as I was losing my mind and ability to get through each day.

2 comments:

Head Cookie said...

Hey there. So glad you posted this info. Anyone who reads this now may seek help if they need it. some people are just scared to get the help fear of what will happen. Most crisis units are very helpful and very good with the patients. Glad to see that you are on the mend. Continue getting better.

Samantha said...

Thanks sweets! I too am glad I ventured to that side and got the help that I needed. I am doing soooo much better now! :)

Big Hugs {{{{{{{Jadey}}}}}}}